Treat all downed power lines as if they are energized. Keep away from the lines and anything they are in contact with. Remember to keep others back as well, especially children and pets. Use caution when using alternate methods of heating, cooking or lighting. If you are using a portable generator, do not plug your generator into your home’s main electrical panel. Doing so can back feed electricity to the utility system, endangering repair crews and your neighbors. Follow all of the manufacturers’ safety instructions.
Be careful when dealing with any appliance that burns fuel. Candles, kerosene heaters, propane stoves, wood burning stoves, generators and etc. all create carbon monoxide, which is poisonous. Read and follow all of your manufactures safety instructions.
Whether to light or heat your home, do not leave anything that can start a fire unattended.